This lesson is designed to get you familiar with adding families/accounts. You may wish to review the articles listed below before beginning.
The review articles in the bullet list below will open the Help article in a new tab. When you are finished reviewing the material, close the tab and return to this page to access the next article using the links below.
If you already have your family and student information in another software system, we can assist you in importing it into your Jackrabbit database at no charge. Please see our Imports page for additional information on this process. Contact our Imports Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To manually enter your existing family data, and whenever you need to add a new family to your database, the most efficient method is to use the Quick Registration form.
This form is essentially the same as the Online Registration Form your parents will use to register from your website, but this form is used internally by your staff. Settings for the Quick Registration form follow the settings you choose for your Online Registration Form from the Gear (icon) > Settings > Online Registration.
When you are getting started, it is not necessary to customize the Online Registration/Quick Registration form. However, at a later time, it can be edited to include the fields that are important to your organization. See the Online Registration section for details on editing and customizing your registration form.
To add a new family to Jackrabbit:
- Go to the Families (menu) > Quick Registration.
- Enter the information for the family and students. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory fields.
- You can submit the form without selecting classes for students, or you can choose to select classes and enroll the students now. For more detailed information on enrolling a student during Quick Registration see the Help article Enroll a New Student into Classes using Quick Registration.
If you did not enroll a student during Quick Registration, there are several other ways to enroll students. For more details see our Help article Methods for Staff to Enroll a Student.
To accommodate different workflows, the Quick Registration form can also be accessed from the All Families page.
- Go to the Families (menu) > All Families.
- Click the Add New Family (icon).
- Click Use Quick Registration Form.
Jackrabbit will try to avoid the creation of a duplicate family record whether it is a user adding a family at the front desk with the Quick Registration form or a family registering from your website with the Online Registration Form.
The Quick Registration form for in-house registrations offers a Duplicate Search link that will alert you to any possible duplicates based on the Family Name entered.
If the search displays an existing record for the family, the user should exit the Quick Registration form and go to that family's record to update it and/or enroll students in classes.
If the record is not a duplicate and the remainder of the registration is completed Jackrabbit will perform the family duplicate detection check when the form is submitted. This will look at, in this order: Last Name, Zip Code, and the first 8 characters of the Home Address/Address 1.
A match on these criteria will pop up the Family Duplicate Detection window which displays the match and asks the question "Is this the same family?".
- If Yes is clicked the information in the Quick Registration form will be added to the existing record.
- If No is clicked a new family record will be created.
A family's email address is required when registering online. If the email entered for Contact #1 matches an email address already in your database, Jackrabbit will display a pop-up message directing the family to log into their Portal by clicking OK. They will not be able to continue with the Registration Form using the existing email address.
If no match is found on the email given, the form can be completed and submitted at which time Jackrabbit will perform the family duplicate detection check. This will look at, in this order: Last Name, Zip Code, and the first 8 characters of the Home Address/Address 1.
If a match is found based on these 3 criteria, Jackrabbit will update that family record with any new information included on the Registration Form (such as the addition of a contact). If no match is found a new family record is created. This may be the result of a misspelling or other minor discrepancy such as the '#' in front of a unit/apartment number and can result in a duplicate family record.
By directing your existing families (families that already have a record in your database) to enroll their students in classes through their Parent Portal you can greatly reduce the occurrence of duplicate records. See Parent Portal for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Will a family in the Lead File be found by family duplicate detection when they re-register?
A. Families located in your Lead File are not searched in the duplicate detection process. If a family you have archived to the Lead File registers again with you online, Jackrabbit will not detect them as a duplicate and a new family record will be created. The lead file record should be restored and the accounts merged.
The Quick Registration Form is used by a Jackrabbit User to add a new family and enroll students in the family at the same time.
The Quick Registration Form follows the settings selected for your Online Registration Form. See our Help section Customize your Online Registration Form for more details.
Access the Quick Registration Form
You can access the Quick Registration Form from the Families (menu):
- Families (menu) > Quick Registration
- Families (menu) > All Families and click the Add New Family (icon). Click Use Quick Registration Form in the pop-up window.
Add a Family in the Quick Registration Form
Complete as much of the Family Information section as possible, this will eliminate the need to add more details in the family record at a later date. There are some required fields designed with an * (asterisk).
Add Students and Enroll through Quick Registration
You can add up to 5 students in the Student Information section. Enter as much of the information as possible into the form, this will avoid additional work later on.
Use the Search button to search classes. Office staff can select up to 5 classes per student during the Quick Registration process. Additional classes can be added as needed after registration is complete.
The options for enrolling during Quick Registration vary:
- If Allow Trial Enrollment is set to Yes on the selected class' Summary tab, you'll have the option of indicating whether or not the student is a Trial Enroll.
- If Allow Future Enrollments is set to Yes under the Gear (icon) > Settings > General > Organization Defaults (left menu) > Class Settings, you'll see an option to adjust the Enroll Date and add a Future Drop Date.
- If Send Enrollment Email to Instructors is set to Yes under the Gear (icon) > Settings > General > Organization Defaults (left menu) > Class Settings, you can clear the Email Instructor check box when you don't want instructors to receive an email. See our Help article Class Settings for more information.
Continue adding information and enrolling students in classes using the additional Student Information fields.
Enter Payment Information & Post Fees
In the Credit Card Verification section, enter the Credit Card or eCheck/Bank Draft information to be used for payment.
After all required information is entered, click Submit Registration Information. The Post Enrollment Fees window opens and you have the option to post all fees immediately, check the classes to post fees for, add Registration Fees, and add Additional Fees.
Once all the fees selected or added, select one of the buttons to complete the enrollment:
- Post Selected Fees Now
- Post Selected Fees & Pay Now
- Skip this... I'll Post Fees Another Time.
The family is added to your database and any students with classes selected have been enrolled accordingly.
Policy Agreements cannot be accepted using the Quick Registration Form! To adhere to the Electronic Signature Act of 2000, a parent must log in to the Parent Portal to provide an E-Signature for company policies.
A Family can contain as many contacts as needed and is not limited to parents. Additional contact types can be added by going to the Gear (icon) > Settings > General > Drop-down Lists (left menu) > Family > Contact Types.
Add a Family Contact
- Go to Families (menu) > All Families to locate the family or use the global Find a family search at the top of a page.
- Click Add Contact (button) on the Family record.
- Fill in the information in the pop-up window.
- Click Save. A new contact page is created and opens.
- Additional information that can be entered on a Contact's page includes employer details, driver's license #, birth month & day, social security #, address, and phone numbers, etc.
- By default, the first contact added becomes the Billing Contact. The Billing Contact is used when sending statements. Change the Billing Contact by selecting Billing Contact = Yes or Billing Contact = No as applicable and Save Changes.
New Contact Page
Changing a Family Address (on the Family Summary page) does NOT change a contact's address on the Contact's page. Changes to the contact's address must be done from the Contact page itself. Changing a Contact's Address does NOT change a family's address on the Family Summary tab. Changes to the family's address must be done on the Family's Summary tab.
|Permissions control the ability of your Users to see certain data and take specific actions. Before moving forward review User Permissions for All Families.|
All Families, located in the Families menu, generates a list of all active and inactive family records in Jackrabbit. Lead File families are not included.
- Optional data visuals offer key information at a glance with interactive charts.
- Drill down to specific families using filters organized in a slide out filter drawer.
- Save your favorite view (filters, selected columns, etc.) as your default view.
- List of families display in a powerful grid: you can group, sort, and customize the information.
- Take Action - add a new family, send a message, work with a single family, or apply a mass action to multiple families at once.
Sample All Families Grid
1 - Breadcrumbs display the currently selected filters.
2 - Data Visuals provide family information at a glance.
3 - Open filters (filter drawer), Save as favorite, Favorites, Hide/Show Data visuals.
4 - Adjust columns, Send a Message, Refresh Grid, Add New Family, and More.
5 - Column Search - enter a search term in the search field.
6 - Row Menu - use the row menu to perform an action for an individual family.
Click the Adjust columnsicon to squeeze the grid columns closer together. You will be able to see all the columns in the grid.
Expand each section below for more information on the All Families grid.
Data Visuals - Key Information at a Glance
Data visuals (charts) provide a quick view of key information about your families. The elements included in the data visuals are predefined by Jackrabbit.
The All Families data visuals are interactive and can be hidden. Use the Hide/Show Data visualsicon to toggle back and forth.
If you have multiple Locations in your database, this element will display the proportion of families in each Location.
The number of active vs inactive families is shown in this data visual.
The number of families with unpaid fees (Accounts Receivable) will display as a fraction of all families, e.g. 11/31. The chart breaks those families down by the age of the fees owed.
The chart breaks down all families by the status of their signed legal policy agreements:
- Have agreed to all current policies
Families are grouped by the ePayment method on file:
- Has both CC and ACH
Use Filters to Search for Specific Families
Select the Filter icon to open the Filter Drawer. The Filter Drawer houses various criteria to help you drill down to specific families, for example, to list all inactive families or find families with more than two students.
Each filter you select will narrow the results down further.
- Once filters are selected and applied, they will appear in the breadcrumbs. Use the red x next to a filter in the breadcrumbs to clear it and refresh the displayed families.
- Filters are grouped and organized into sections for ease of use and pull information from the various tabs in the Family record.
- Use the arrow (>) to expand a section to see the filters within, or use the Expand All/Collapse All option at the top of the Filter Drawer.
- Search for a filter by entering a keyword in the search box at the top of the Filter Drawer. For example, enter "ePay" to quickly locate and navigate to the ePayment Method filter in the Financial Details section.
Save your Favorite Filtered Grid Views
Save time and effort each time you open a grid page to view your data! After you have applied filters or clicked on a data visual, set the grid column widths, you can save the filtered data as a Favorite.
Saved favorites can be set as a default view, and shared with other Jackrabbit Users in your organization. There is no limit to the number of filtered grid views you can save.
Save a Favorite
Once filters are selected, it's simple to save your favorite views:
|Open a Favorite|
Load or open a saved favorite:
|Delete a Favorite|
If you created a Favorite, you will be able to delete it:
Contact Jackrabbit Support if you want to delete a Favorite filtered view created by another User.
Work with the Information in the Grid (Table)
Jackrabbit grids, located throughout the system, are very powerful and allow you to group and sort your data to customize the way your results are displayed. Each grid has core features such as grouping data by dragging a column to the grouping bar. Row menus and column menus offer different options depending on the grid.
Use Column Search to quickly find information in a column. For example, enter a family last name or part of a name, and all the matches will populate in the grid. Use the red x to clear the information in the search field.
Add a New Family
Use theicon to add a new family. Although you can add a family 'on the fly' with just their name, location, and registration date, we recommend using the Quick Registration Form which allows you to add all information, including students, at the same time.
To accommodate different workflows, the Quick Registration form can also be accessed directly from the Families (menu).
Take Action for an Individual Family
Use the rowmenu to edit that row and access options for working with an individual family. Click on the icon and a new browser tab or pop-up window will open depending on the action you select.
Click directly on the row menu for the family you want to work with; do not use the check box in the 1st column. When any check boxes (for use with mass actions) are selected in the 1st column, the row menus are deactivated and won't display.
- View/Edit - opens the Family record
- Post Fees - opens the Make Sale/Post Fees page
- Accept Payment/Post Credit - opens the Payment Transaction Entry page
- Add a Note - opens the Add a note window
Take Action for Multiple Families (Mass Actions)
Choose one of these options to select families and to perform a mass action:
- Select all families - leave the check box in the 1st column unchecked and all families in the grid are selected. You will be able to Send a Message, Refresh the Grid, Add a New Family, and perform all the mass actions in the drop-down list including Print and Export to Excel.
- Select specific families - in the 1st column, select the check boxes for the families you want to work with. You will be able to Send a Message and perform all the mass actions in the drop-down list shown.
- Current families displayed on the page (max. 250/page) - select the check box in the 1st column header. You will be able to Send a Message and perform all the mass actions in the drop-down list shown below.
ePayment Schedule - Update the ePayment Schedule (choosing from a drop-down list) or remove the existing ePayment Schedule from the selected family records. Click Update.
Family Discount - Update the Family Discount (amount, expiration date, and discount type) or remove the existing Family Discount from the selected family records. Click Update.
Family Fixed Fee - Update the Family Fixed Fee (amount, expiration date, and Category 1) or remove the existing Family Fixed Fee from the selected family records. Click Update.
Membership Type - Update the Membership Type (choosing from a drop-down list) or remove the existing Membership Type from the selected family records. Click Update.
Clear UDF Answers - Clear the User-defined fields for the selected families. Click Clear.
Print - Open a print window to print the family information in the grid (max. 250 rows) or save it as a file for future use. The print option is only available when the check boxes remain unselected in the 1st column of the grid.
Export to Excel - Download an Excel file of all the filtered information in the grid to your computer. The export option is only available when the check boxes remain unselected in the 1st column of the grid. All families in the grid will be included (no maximum).
Family information in the All Families grid lives in the Family record. Click a Family link in the grid to open the family's individual record.
Want to practice what you've just learned? Great!
- Go to https://app.jackrabbitclass.com/jr3.0/Login and log in with the credentials below for your Jackrabbit edition.
- Go through some or all of the practice scenarios below as they apply to you.
The Practice Database is refreshed each day at approximately 5:00 am Eastern Standard Time. Anything you enter will be erased at that time.
Determine the family/student information your organization requires for each family.
Use fake names, addresses, etc. as any information you add could be viewed by others outside of your organization.
Add a family with a fake name and address.
- Go to Families > All Families. Click the Add Icon and then Use Quick Registration Form button.
- Enter the information for the Family and Student(s). Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory fields.
- You can submit the form without selecting class(es) for student(s) or you can choose to select classes and enroll the student now.
When you have worked through all of the articles outlined in the lesson, select the Take the Quiz button to be taken to the Lesson #1 Quiz where you can test your understanding of the concepts in this lesson. You will be asked to enter an email address for quiz results to be sent. The quiz includes Review questions.
Quiz #1 - Add a Family/Account
|Number of Questions||Total Possible Points||Points Needed for an "A"||Points Needed for a "B"||Points Needed|
for a "C"