Most of the fees you post in Jackrabbit will be for class tuition fees. In addition, there will be other fees you will need to charge your families.
It's important to consider and answer these questions before you make decisions on when and how to post fees that are not tuition related:
Annual Fees - Is there an membership, insurance, or annual fee for students? Does the annual fee cover the entire family or does the fee depend on the number of students enrolled in a family?
Late Fees - Unfortunately, this can be a common occurrence and student accounts may not be paid in a timely manner. Will you be charging a late fee? What is the charge on a late balance? Is there a flat late fee per student per class or does the fee adjust depending on the delinquent amount?
Miscellaneous (Misc) Fees - This is a catch-all category for other fees your organization charges. This could be for merchandise, recitals, registration for swim meets, etc. Are these miscellaneous fees taxable? Are these fees related to a specific event?
Class Transactions - Are there fees related to specific classes in your organization? Maybe you have fees for recitals and those fees vary by class levels?
Post Other Fees - Do you have additional fees you would like to post to specific families?
Ready? Set? Post Those Fees!
There are many ways to post non-tuition fees in Jackrabbit. This section was designed to help you understand your options and provide you with information and step-by-step instructions.
|Post Annual Fees||You have the option to post annual fees by any of the following: Family Registration Month, Student Start Month or Student per Class. Learn how to Post Annual Fees.|
|Post Late & Misc Fees||Designed to post late fees, this functionality can also be used to post any non-tuition miscellaneous fee to your families. Learn more about Post Late Fees (or Misc Fees).|
|Post Class Transactions||This functionality is used to post non-tuition fees to families when students are enrolled in a specific class. Learn how to Post Class Transactions.|
|Post Other Fees||You can go to the Transactions menu to post fees (other than class tuition fees) to specific families, or, use the Make Sale/Post Fees button on any family record page. Learn more about posting other fees.|
From the Transactions menu, Post Annual Fees can be used to post any type of annual fee (registration, membership, insurance, etc.) to existing families or students.
You have the option to post the fees for:
- Family based on the Family Registration Month. A family's registration date is the date they registered with your facility, either via a Jackrabbit User (in-house) or through online registration, and is displayed on the Summary tab of their Family record.
- Student based on the Student Start Month. A student's start date is the date they were first added to the Family record in your Jackrabbit database and is displayed on the Summary tab of the Student record.
- Student per Class based on the Student Start Month.
You can narrow the list of people who will be included in the batch and have the fee posted to their accounts using the Search Criteria (Who do you want to bill?) including:
- Select Location (family)
- Post Fee Per Family/Acct., Per Student, or Per Student-Class (Fee Per Student)
- Student Start Month (if Per Student) (September)
- Active (Enrolled) Only? (are students currently enrolled in any classes?)
- Enroll Date From and Through (date the students were enrolled into class)
- Class Session (students currently enrolled in classes with this session)
- Category 1, 2, 3 (students currently enrolled in classes in this category)
- Membership Type (family)
Choose what type of fees you want to post, and what details you want to apply to the transactions, in the Transaction Details to Post (What Fees do you want to post?) section.
If you are posting per family you will enter the amount of the fee for a family. If you are posting per student, or per student-class, you will enter the fees for the first student, second student, and the third student. The fee for the third student is used for the fourth, fifth, etc. students in the family unless a maximum fee per family is designated. If a maximum fee exists, the fee will post for each student until that maximum is reached. If the maximum is reached it will be posted to the family in one transaction vs posting each student amount individually.
By default, Post Annual Fees will exclude transactions for a family with previously posted fees with an exact match on:
- Transaction Date
- Transaction Type
- Transaction Amount (per Family, per Student, or per Student-Class)
If you have chosen to post fees per student or by student-class, the transaction must also match the student name (this would mean that the originally posted transaction would have to have the student listed in the student section of the transaction).
Entering dates in the Duplicate Check Date From/Through fields allows you to also exclude duplicate fees for a family/student for a specified date range instead of the exact transaction date. This searches the date range in addition to matching the type, amount, and for per student fees, student name.
If you would like the Family Registration Date or Student Start Date to act as a 'due date' for next year's fees select Yes to Optionally, Advance Registration Date By 1 year. Note: To keep a record of their actual registration/start date consider adding those dates to the Notes field on the Misc tab.
You have the option to preview the fees before you commit to posting them!
The Preview Annual Fees page provides transaction counts and the option to remove a family, or families, from the batch. The fees are not posted to families until the Post Fees button is selected.
If annual fees are posted in error, use Transactions > Delete Transactions to delete. See Delete Transactions for more information on deleting a fee.
Watch a (2:25) video tutorial on Post Late or Misc. Fees
Post Late Fees/Misc Fees allows you to post a fee to multiple families based on a selection of family criteria (location, status, current balance, etc.) and/or their students' current enrollment. This function was designed for late fees but can be used to post any type of fee using the Transaction Details to Post options.
- Go to Transactions (menu) and click Post Late Fees/Misc Fees.
- Make selections in the Search Criteria section to narrow down who you want to post transactions fees to. If you are posting a late fee, isolate which transactions you want to post late fees for using the With Unpaid Transactions section. Select a Transaction Date From / Through, a Transaction Type, and/or a Transaction Sub-Type. For example, if you only post late fees when tuition is late, you'd select, Transaction Type: Tuition Fee (Debit).
- Use Transaction Details to Post in the lower section to tell Jackrabbit how to post the fee transaction (date, type/sub-type, amount, taxable, note, category, and session) and whether you want the fee to post per Family/Account, per Active Student, or Per Student That Meets Criteria.
- If you change the Transaction Type to anything other than the default [Late Fee (Debit)], the Current Balance From in the Search Criteria section (at the top) will change to a blank field and an alert will display.
Note: If you have already changed the Current Balance From amount (it defaults to 1.00) in the Search Criteria section to another amount, it will not blank out the field because Jackrabbit assumes you intentionally changed the field.
- If you post the fee per Active Student and a family that meets the search criteria has 2 active students, Jackrabbit will post the fee twice (the fee multiplied by the 2 students). If you post the fee per Family/Account, Jackrabbit will post the fee once to each family that meets the criteria. When you opt to post only to Students That Meet Criteria Jackrabbit will only post a fee for those students who fit the criteria selected in the Who do you want to bill? section regardless of how many other active students are in the family.
- If you change the Transaction Type to anything other than the default [Late Fee (Debit)], the Current Balance From in the Search Criteria section (at the top) will change to a blank field and an alert will display.
- Select Use duplicate fee detection if you would like Jackrabbit to search for late/misc. fees already posted. The duplicate fees will appear in Preview Fees highlighted in yellow. You decide if you want to post the duplicate fees.
- Click Preview Fees. This is a preview only. No fees will post until you click Post Fees.
Preview Results and Post Fees
- Review the results to be sure the fees are accurate.
- Deselect check boxes in the last column for items you do not want to post a fee for.
- Click Post Fees. In the pop-up box that says, This will create transactions for all selected families. Continue?, click OK. Jackrabbit displays a list of the fees that posted to accounts.
If late/misc fees are posted in error, use Transactions > Delete Transactions to delete them. See Delete Transactions for more information on deleting a fee.
From the Transactions menu, Post Class Transactions can be used to post fees to families with students enrolled in a specific class.
Using the Search Criteria you can filter the enrollments to include only families with a specific Location and/or families with a specific Membership Type (Family record > Billing Info tab). Use the Search link to locate the class.
In the Transaction Details to Post section, choose what type of fees you want to post and what details you want to apply to the transactions. The Category 1 and Session values will default to those of the class, however, you are able to change them.
By default, Post Class Transactions will exclude transactions for a family with previously posted fees that are an exact match on all of the following:
- Transaction (Post) Date
- Transaction Type and Subtype
- Original Amount
There is no preview available, when you select Submit the fees are posted. If fees are posted in error, use Transactions > Delete Transactions to delete them. See Delete Transactions for more information on deleting a fee.
After you submit the batch you will be given a summary of the number of transactions posted and a link to view the transactions. The transaction listing provides links to the family accounts.
Class transactions can also be posted from within the Class record using the Post Class Transactions button. With that method, however, you are not able to filter by family Location or Membership Type.
There are two ways to post additional fees (other than class fees) to a specific family:
- Decide where you would like to post the fees from. Select one of these two options shown:
Go to Transactions (menu) > Post Fees to a Family, this will open the Make Sale/Post Fees page. Proceed to step 2. From a Family Record Go to Families (menu) > Families and select the family you want to post a fee to. Once the family page is open click the Make Sale/Post Fees button. Proceed to step 2.
- Complete the Family Details section.
- Search for a family name if you used the Transaction menu to access the page.
- The family will automatically populate if you started from a Family Record.
- Change the Transaction Date when applicable.
- Complete the Select Store Items if you have any store fees to include. See Make a Store Sale for details.
- Complete the Post Fees section.
Note: You can add an unlimited number of fees. Additional rows will display after the third fee is added.
- Location if applicable.
- Type (Transaction).
- Category1 Note: Category 1 is required if you have Tools > Edit Settings > Require Cat1 = Yes.
Note: Jackrabbit always recommends you include a Category 1.
- SubType and enter the Orig Amount.
- Click the Calculator icon to enter a discount if applicable.
- Include tax by checking the Tax checkbox.
Note: The tax rate is calculated using the tax rate you entered and saved in Tools > Edit Settings >Organization Defaults.
- Choose a Session (optional, but highly recommended).
- Choose a Student (optional).
- Select a Class/Event from the drop-down if the fee is tuition related, or click the Magnifying Glass (Search) icon to select a Class/Event. If you add a class to this field, notice that the Category1 field adopts the Category1 assigned to that class. This is a safeguard to ensure the correct Category1 is used for the class tuition.
- Add a Note (optional).
- Click either the Save Fee & Pay Now button to save the fees and open a payment screen or the Save Fee button to save the fees without posting a payment. You can post the fees to the family at a later time.
Watch a (1:54) video tutorial for an overview of the Store / Point of Sale
The store is not an online module; it does not integrate with your web site or Parent Portal.
- Inventory tracking
- Barcode Scanner Interface
- Secure Credit Card Swipe Reader interface*
- General “Store” account for non-customer transactions
- Sales / Profit / Re-Order / Tax Reports
- One-time Use Credit Card Transactions
- Detailed Payment Receipts
* SafeSave, C&H Financial, Studio AutoPay/Forte Payments, and Process Pink providers only. Encrypted reader must be purchased from your provider. See Store FAQ for more information.
Setting the right Store permissions for your Users is very important! Click this link to review the User Permissions Required for the Store.
Watch a (2:23) video tutorial on Making a Store Sale
Jackrabbit gives you options when you want to make a sale from your store. You can post the fees to the family's account or accept immediate payments at the time of sale for store item(s).
Make a Sale/Post Fees
There are two ways to make a sale in Jackrabbit: from the Store menu or directly from a family record.
- Go to Store (menu) > Make Sale or alternatively, open a family record and click the Make Sale/Post Fees button. Regardless of the access point you start from the procedure is the same.
This option allows you to choose a family or store.
This option allows you to complete a transaction for a specific family.
- Select a Store or Family.
- Store - When you initiate your sale from the Store menu > Make a Sale , the default store information is automatically added to the Store Details section. If you have multiple stores the default is set to the first store that was added to Jackrabbit, as identified by the Store ID that was created for it at that time. The Store ID is located on the Summary tab of the Store record, on the bottom right. See Add Additional Store Accounts for more information.
- Family - When you initiate your sale from a Family record > Make Sale/Post Fees button, the family's information is automatically added to the Family Details section.
Note: If the sale is for a different store or family, start typing into the Store/Family Search field. Jackrabbit will search for matches after the first letter is typed. A list of matches displays and the correct one can be selected. All Store accounts are listed with 'Store:' in front of the name to differentiate between stores and families. Stores show at the top of the list. To assist in finding the correct family, each account displays the store/family name and billing contact’s name and address.
- Select Store Items. Enter the item number manually or use a barcode scanner. The item's price and details will appear on the transaction line when the item is selected. New rows are added automatically.
- Select the Quantity (Qty). Use the up/down arrows to select the correct quantity. Once an item is selected the predetermined price will populate and the Discount and Amount fields become activated.
Note: The tax is totaled in the Sale Summary section (top right).
- Select Student, Class/Event and add a Note if applicable.
- Add a Discount for the store item or click on the calculator icon.
- The calculator icon opens up a Discount window where you can enter the discount amount, discount percentage or click on a Quick Discount button. The Quick discount buttons will calculate the correct amount.
- Go to Tools > Edit Settings > Edit Drop-Down Lists > Transaction > Quick Discount to add up to 4 discount amounts.
- Add fees in the Post Fees section (bottom) that are not store related when applicable.
- Click on Save Fee & Pay Now or Save Fee to complete the transaction and move to payment options in the Payment Transaction Entry page.
- Save Fee will only display when you initiate a sale from a Family record.
- Save Fee & Pay Now button is visible if the transaction is for a Store account.
- After clicking on Save Fee & Pay Now, if the family has a prior balance, you'll be asked if the full balance is being paid. If Yes is selected, then the full balance will appear as the payment amount. If No is selected, then only the amount of the transactions just entered will be the payment amount.
If you don’t see the Payment Transaction Entry page after clicking a payment button, check your pop-up blocker and allow the pop-up.
You'll notice multiple payment options for store merchandise: cash, check, credit cards and any other payment methods you accept for your business. The payment method drop-down list is created in Tools > Edit Settings > Drop-Down Lists > Transaction > Payment Method.
ePayments in Jackrabbit
Use Card/Acct on File - This will process the payment amount using the credit card/bank draft information on file (Family's Billing Info tab). This button is inactive for store accounts because they do not have credit cards on file.
Use New Card/Acct on File - Opens a pop-up window to enter the customer's credit card information.
Use Terminal Payment - The card can be swiped with a card swipe reader or the credit card information can be manually entered. When using the Store account, the card is processed for this transaction ONLY. No credit card information is saved.
When using a Family account, an option is offered to save the credit card information (if no card is currently on file) or replace the existing credit card (if a card is already on file).
If the Family Billing Contact has an email address, the email receipt confirmation is automatically sent to this email address unless the Do Not Send box is checked. To email a confirmation to another email address, enter the email address(es) in the space provided.
Print a Receipt
In the Payment Transaction Entry page, check the Receipt box. The receipt lists all fees related to the payment. e-Commerce payments include the approval code, transaction id code, and last 4 digits of the card number. Payment notes also appear on the receipt.
Receipts that are emailed with credit card transactions only include the total amount of the transaction.
Sample cash receipt shown below. You have the option to Print or Email the receipt from this window.
Transactions can be edited individually using the pencil icon in transaction grids. Groups of transactions can be edited from the results of a transactions search.
Use caution when editing transactions as it can cause discrepancies with information already transferred to your accounting system, e.g. exported to QuickBooks.
User Permissions Related to Editing Transactions
There are several permissions that control a User's ability to edit transactions. See Permissions for Jackrabbit Users for help with editing User Permissions.
|User Permission Category||Name of User Permission|
|Transactions||Edit Payment Amount|
Edit Original Fee
Edit Payment Transaction Date
Mass Edit Transactions
|Reports||Transactions Advanced Search|
To protect important data, not all fields in a transaction can be edited and there are restrictions on when the amount field of a fee or payment can be changed.
- The amount of a fee transaction cannot be edited if it is linked to a payment. Unlink the payment from the fee to make your edit and then relink it.
- The amount of a payment transaction cannot be edited if it has been applied to fees. Unlink the fees to make your edit and then reapply the payment.
- The amount of a refunded payment transaction cannot be edited.
- For ePayments, the following fields cannot be edited: Location, Transaction Date, Transaction Type, Amount, Payment Method, Check #, Credit Card Last 4, or Date Paid.
- For payments and refunds the following fields cannot be edited: Transaction Date, Transaction Type.
Edit a Single Transaction
Using the pencil icon, , a single transaction can be edited from:
In the Edit Transaction modal, make your changes keeping the above rules in mind. Be sure to Save Changes.
Edit Multiple Transactions (Mass Edit)
Watch a (1:25) video tutorial on Editing Transactions
From Search Transactions, in the Transactions menu, it is possible to edit multiple transactions at once.
From the search results, an Edit All column allows you to select multiple transactions to edit (using the checkbox) or to edit all transactions by selecting the checkbox in the Edit All column header.
When you have selected one or more transactions, the Mass Edit icon and the number of transactions to be edited display in the selections bar.
The Edit Transactions window will display:
- The number of transactions to be edited
- Fields that are not editable are grayed out
- An explanation of which editing rules were broken
In the Transaction Groups with Issues section, use the X to remove any transactions that have 'broken a rule' to open up the grayed out fields and continue editing the remaining transactions.
When you have made your changes, Save Changes.
You will be prompted to confirm your changes. Click Yes, I'm Sure to confirm and be returned to the Search Transactions results where where your recently edited transactions will be displayed.
This option is most often used to delete fees that were posted in error when using Transactions > Post Class Transactions, Transactions > Post Annual Fees, and Transactions > Post Late Fees/Misc Fees.
It's not possible to use this function to delete ePayments, fees that are fully or partially linked to payments; or tuition fees posted using Post Tuition Fees.
- Point to Transactions and click Delete Transactions.
- Enter Search Criteria to tell Jackrabbit what transactions you want to delete. Date From / Through reflect the date you listed as the Trans Date - not necessarily the date you posted the fee.
- Click Get Count.
- Jackrabbit opens a window that indicates how many transactions will be deleted.
- Click Return.
- Click Submit.
- In the Are you sure you want to delete transactions? pop-up box, click OK.
- Jackrabbit opens a window confirming the fees have been deleted and family balances have been updated.
When you have worked through all of the articles outlined in the lesson plan, select the Take the Quiz button to be taken to the Lesson #10 Quiz where you can test your understanding of the concepts in this lesson. You will be asked to enter an email address for quiz results to be sent.
Quiz #10 - Non-Tuition Fees
|Number of Questions||Total Possible Points||Points Needed for an "A"||Points Needed for a "B"||Points Needed|
for a "C"