The fifth lesson in this Learning Series, Staff Portal Management, is designed to get you familiar with managing the Staff Portal in general. You may wish to review the articles in the Coaches / Instructors and Staff category before beginning.
Any User ID with the Launch Staff Portal permission, in the Staff Portal category, can launch the portal when they are logged into your database (Tools > Manage Users & Permissions).
- Point to Staff Portal on the main menu.
- Click Launch Staff Portal.
- Your staff can now log into their Staff Portals.
The Staff Portal can remain open indefinitely, however, when inactive for longer than the Staff Session Timeout Limit individual staff will be logged out of the portal.
Watch a (3:01) video tutorial on Launching the Staff Portal
Using the URL provided below and your own Organization ID you can allow your staff to launch the Staff Portal remotely (through a URL as opposed to from within your database) and enable access to any of the features. This could be at your premises on an iPad on the gym floor, or from a home computer through a link on your website. The Staff Portal is mobile friendly, making data entry on smart devices easy!
When the Staff Portal is launched remotely staff are automatically able to:
- See all News (My News, Department News, and Staff News)
- View and print their schedule of classes and events
- View details of their classes (no information on enrolled students or contact information)
- Email the contacts of enrolled students (if their individual Staff Portal Settings allow them to send emails)
To allow staff to go beyond that and update information (enter time, take attendance, update skills) when the Portal has been launched remotely, you must change your Staff Portal Settings:
- Point to Staff Portal, drop down to Settings and select Portal Settings.
- In the Features section set Allow Remote (feature name) to Yes for the feature you want your staff to be able to update remotely (the default is No).
- Save Changes.
Using the link below you can add access to the Staff Portal launch page on your website or you can simply email your staff the link (in the blue box) to bookmark.
The link can be saved on a smart device and accessed just like an app. See Save and Launch the Remote Access Staff Portal as a Web App for full instructions.
If you are using a website editor that simply asks you for the "hyperlink" or "website url" or "website address" to link to, then highlight your desired text or image and use the code in the blue box as the link. If prompted, also choose "link to other webpage" and "open in new window":
If you are using a traditional hard-coded web editor, use the html code in the yellow box. This example uses the text Staff Portal Login as the text to display for the link, but you may change it to to any text phrase or image that you prefer by replacing that section in the code below:
Remember to substitute YOUR ORG ID in place of the XXXXXX! Find your Organization ID under Tools > Online Web Registration.
Watch a (2:18) video tutorial on Launch the Staff Portal as an App on a Mobile Device
Your Staff Portal remote entry point can be saved to your iPhone/iPad/Android device just like an app. Once it is saved it can be launched via an icon just like any other app.
Add the Staff Portal to your Mobile Device
iOS/iPad/iPhone devices must use Safari web browser.
|Android devices must use either Chrome or the native Web Browser.|
- Open a web browser on your mobile device and enter this URL:
- Replace "XXXXXX" in the URL with your Org ID.
Note: Your Org ID can be found from Tools > Online Web Registration > Getting Started.
- Enter the username and password at the Staff Portal login screen. From here you can save as a web app to your device.
Save the Staff Portal App to a Mobile Home Screen
|Open the context menu by clicking the square with upward pointing arrow icon centered at the bottom of the screen. From this menu click Add to Home Screen.|
|Click the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner to open the context menu. Then click Add to Home Screen to save as a web app.|
Watch a (1:43) video tutorial on how to Reset a Portal Password
There may be occasions where a staff person forgets their password and is unable to log into their Staff Portal. Your staff is able to use the Forgot your password? link to generate a new password.
The password can also be reset through your database. How to reset the password depends on whether the staff person is logging into the Staff Portal with an assigned Staff Portal Login ID or whether they are logging in using their Jackrabbit User ID and password (when staff person is linked to a User ID).
Reset a Password using the Forgot your password? link
The Forgot your password? link on the Staff Portal login page allows your staff to quickly generate an email with a link to reset their password. This email will be sent to the email address you have on file for them in their Staff record, on the Summary tab.
The password reset link is time sensitive and will expire in 24 hours.
When a staff person, who has an assigned Staff Portal Login ID, is resetting their password they will need to enter the email address located on their Staff record. Staff persons who log into the Staff Portal using their Jackrabbit User ID (which has been linked/matched to their Staff record ) must reset their password using the email address located on their User ID profile. In both cases the password reset email is sent to the address on the Staff record.
Reset a Staff Portal Login ID Password (from within the database)
A staff person's Staff Portal Login ID password can be reset in the database by any User with the Time Card and Portal Settings tab permission (in the Staff category of permissions).
- Locate the staff person's Staff record from the Staff menu > List Active Staff.
- Go to the Portal Settings tab.
- Click Email Password Reset Link. Note: If this staff person is matched to a User ID this button will be inactive (grayed out).
The password reset email will be sent to the email address on their Staff record > Summary tab.
The reset link in a password reset email is time sensitive and expires in 24 hours.
Reset a Jackrabbit User ID Password (from within the database)
When a staff person who logs into the Staff Portal using their Jackrabbit database User ID has forgotten their password, a User with administrative permissions can reset the password from within the database. It must be done from the User ID record, however, not from the Staff record. The Email Password Reset Link on the Portal Settings tab of the Staff record will be grayed out when the staff person is matched to a User ID and it cannot be used to reset their password.
- Go to Tools > Edit Settings > User IDs.
- Click the link on the User ID to edit.
- Click the Reset Password button.
- Enter the new password and confirm.
No email is generated for this password reset. The staff person must be notified and given their updated password.
There are 3 types of news options available to broadcast to staff in the Staff Portal: Staff News, Department News, and My News. Staff & Department News are both created and managed from the Staff Portal menu. My News, or the Login Message, is managed from the individual staff member's record. All news broadcasts are displayed on the News tab in the Staff Portal.
This is visible only if the staff member has the specific Department saved on their Staff record > Portal Settings tab in the Default Department or Additional Dept News fields.
To add Department News:
- Point to Staff Portal in the main menu, drop down to Settings and select Department News from the pop-out menu.
- Click the pencil icon to the left of the Department to edit.
- Add/edit the news in the editor that opens. Note: The editor works much like the email editor allowing you to change fonts, colors, styles, etc.
When the staff member in the department (or departments) logs into their portal, the saved news is visible on the News tab, under the Department News heading. Note: The news displays until deleted using the trash can icon or updated using the pencil icon.
This news is visible to all staff members who access the Staff Portal.
To add Staff News:
- Point to Staff Portal in the main menu, drop down to Settings and select Staff News from the pop-out menu.
- In the Edit Staff News editor, add your announcement. Note: The editor works much like the email editor in Jackrabbit allowing you to change fonts, colors, styles, etc.
When a staff member logs into their portal the saved news is visible on the News tab, under the Staff News heading. Note: The news displays until you either edit it to change the content or clear it by deleting the message in the editor.
My News is specific to the staff person and can not be viewed by any other staff person. This message is entered in the individual staff person's record.
- Point to Staff in the menu bar and click List Active (or All) Staff.
- Select a staff person.
- Click the staff member's Portal Settings tab.
- Enter a Login Message to display as My News.
- Optionally, enter a Login Message Expiration date (the message will no longer display on or after that date). Note: This does not automatically clear the Login Message field on that date.
- Save Changes.
When the staff member logs in, the saved message is visible on the News tab, under the My News heading. Note: If no expiration date is entered the news will display until you clear the Login Message field.
This report, which can be filtered by Department and/or Time Entry Method, provides a listing of staff with their Department, Portal Login ID, Time Entry Method, whether they are linked to a User ID and the date of their last portal login.
To run a Staff Portal Login ID Report:
- Point to Staff Portal, drop down to Settings and select Portal Login ID Report.
- Select any Search Criteria.
The Staff Portal Log is a great way to see Staff Portal activity including logins and password resets.
From the Reports menu > Staff Portal, the Staff Portal Log can be found under the All tab.
A new staff member is trying to log in to the Staff Portal for the first time. They are unable to login successfully. Run the Staff Portal Log and use the Filter Option of Login Failures. This will help you determine if the new staff member is logging in to the correct place with the correct Login ID.
Use the Search Criteria to narrow the report results:
- If you have multiple locations in your database, you have the option to look at Staff Portal activity based location using the Location drop-down.
- Use the Filter Option to see Login Failures only, for example.
- Choose the time frame you want to review using the Search Activity Log drop-down.
Leaving a criteria selection blank is the same as saying 'all'.
The Report Results
- The Show/hide Columns button allows you to customize your report by selecting which information to display.
- Select Apply to have these selections applied to only the report you are currently viewing.
- Select Apply & Save to have these selections applied and saved to your User ID. When logged in as your User ID, you will see only the columns of information you chose previously. Other Users will see the columns they selected and saved, which may differ from yours.
- Use Restore Columns to view all available columns.
Jackrabbit can keep track of the dates you define as closed and be aware that attendance does not need to be taken in the Staff Portal on those dates. When a closed date, or date range, is entered attendance cannot be added on those dates in the Staff Portal. The Incomplete Portal Attendance alert on the Executive Dashboard and the Incomplete Portal Attendance report will both omit any dates defined as a closed date.
Create closed dates from the Tools menu > Edit Settings. Select Closed Dates. Use the Add Closed Date(s) button to add the dates of your closures. You can add as may dates as needed. To save a single date, enter the same date in the Start Date and the End Date fields.
Staff Portal attendance cannot be taken for a closed date. On a closed date students will be listed in the Staff Portal but the attendance buttons will be inactive.
A User's ability to add a closed date is controlled by the User ID permission Closed Dates located in the Tools section. Edit User ID permissions from Tools > Edit Settings > User IDs.
When you have more than one Jackrabbit Location in your database there is an additional step required when you are launching the Staff Portal. The Staff Portal must be launched for each Location separately; you cannot launch the portal for all Locations simultaneously.
A drop-down list allows you to select which Location to launch the Staff Portal for. This is an alphabetical listing of the Location Codes (not Location Names) in your database. Note: There is no way to change the ordering from alphabetical.
Once the portal is launched your staff are able to log in.
When you have worked through all of the articles outlined in the lesson plan, select the Take the Quiz button to be taken to the Lesson #5 Quiz where you can test your understanding of the concepts in this lesson. You will be asked to enter an email address for quiz results to be sent. The quiz includes Review questions.
Quiz #5 - Staff Portal Management
|Number of Questions||Total Possible Points||Points Needed for an "A"||Points Needed for a "B"||Points Needed|
for a "C"
The quiz question for the optional topic for this lesson has been added to the regular quiz.