Watch a 2:44 video on how to Set Up Tuition Settings for Classes Billed By Total Hours
If you use the Billing Method By Total Hours you will set up a Fee Schedule and, optionally, a Multi-Student Discount.
You can add and edit your "Total Hours" Discount Settings in Tuition Settings from the Tools menu > Edit Settings.
- Click +Edit Fee Schedule in the Tuition Billing Settings to create or edit your Fee Schedule. See The Fee Schedule (Tuition Billing Method By Total Hours) for full details.
- Click Update Now in the Update Total Hours Discount Settings section to select a Billing Cycle and set up discounts.
Select Billing Cycle You Use for Total Hours Billing
When you bill By Total Hours you can only use one Billing Cycle. Typically, Monthly is selected which means you bill monthly based on the number of hours a student or family is in class per week.
Set up Discount (Multi-Student)
How should the multi-student discounts be applied?
There are two options:
- Select Use the discount rate listed for each student if you'd like Jackrabbit to apply the corresponding discount to each student's total tuition.
- Select Add up the students in the family and use the discount rate listed for the total if you'd like Jackrabbit to add up the students in a family and use the discount associated with the total to apply to each student's total tuition .
- The family has 4 students enrolled in classes
- The discount for multiple students in a family is:
Use the discount rate listed for each student
- Student 1 uses the discount listed in Student 1 (0%) and their classes are not discounted, Student 2's classes use the discount listed in Student 2 (5%), Student 3's classes use the discount listed in Student 3 (10%) and Student 4's classes use the discount listed in Student 4 (15%).
Add up the students in the family and use the discount rate listed for the total
- The 4 students in the family are added up and the discount rate for Student 4 (15%) is applied to all students' classes.
Specify a unit for this discount
The discount can be a dollar amount or a percentage to be applied to the tuition fee(s).
Total Tuition Discount Method
Specify the discounts for students one through six. The 7th student and beyond will use the discount defined for Student 6 (Six or more students).
If you are using the discount rate listed for each student you will be asked In what order would you like to apply the discount?
- Highest tuition gets lowest discount (most common) - Jackrabbit will order the students with the student having the highest priced tuition considered as Student 1. The lowest discount is applied to the student with the highest tuition.
- Lowest tuition gets lowest discount - Jackrabbit will order the students with the student having the lowest priced tuition considered as Student 1. The lowest discount is applied to the student with the highest tuition.
If you post tuition by adding up hours in class (By Total Hours), you will create a Total Hours Fee Schedule that outlines how much you charge for each hour increment. Jackrabbit will add up the hours in class, either by student or by family, and look to the Fee Schedule to locate the corresponding fee for the number of hours.
At this time, it is only possible to have one fee schedule in your database.
Your Fee Schedule is created from Tools > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings.
- Select the +Edit Fee Schedule button in the Tuition Billing Settings to create or edit your Fee Schedule.
The Fee Schedule is based on the number of hours in class per week. It is extremely important that you set the class Tuition Fee and the Fee Schedule to reflect the rates associated with whatever Billing Cycle you've decided to use.
Example - 1 hour of class per week is $60
- If your Billing Cycle is Weekly the tuition fee for 1 hour should be $60
- If your Billing Cycle is Monthly the tuition fee for 1 hour should be $240 ($60/wk x 4 weeks)
- If your Billing Cycle is By Session, and your Session is 8 weeks, the tuition fee for 1 hour should be $480 ($60/wk x 8 weeks)
Note: You can only use one Billing Cycle for your By Total Hours classes.
Important Notes about the Fee Schedule
- When entering part hours in the Fee Schedule enter 15 minutes as .25, 30 minutes as .50, and 45 minutes as .75.
- When posting tuition, if the total hours isn't listed in your fee schedule Jackrabbit will select the next higher total hours and use that tuition fee.
Post Tuition Fees, from the Transactions menu, is a tool used to post tuition fees to multiple families at once, also known as a batch.
Use Post Tuition Fees to post fees for classes with either Billing Method, By Class Fee or By Total Hours.
This article will step through running Post Tuition Fees for classes billed By Total Hours. For By Class Fee classes, refer to our Help article Post Tuition By Class Fee - Step Through the Process.
Post to classes with this Billing Method
Select By Total Hours to post tuition for classes with the Billing Method of By Total Hours. A link to view or edit your Fee Schedule will appear.
Post total hours per
When the Billing Method is By Total Hours, you have the option of counting the total hours by Student or by Family.
Student #1 takes two 1 hour classes per week
Student #2 takes one 1 hour class per week
Total hours by student:
- Student #1 is charged $90 (fee for 2 hours)
- Student #2 is charged $50 (fee for 1 hour)
- Total family tuition is $140
Total hours by family:
- Total hours taken by both students is 3 (fee for 3 hours)
- Total family tuition is $130
When you opt to total the hours by Student you will have the option to add multi-student discounts (see below).
Post tuition to classes with this Billing Cycle
When you post fees By Total Hours, you can only use one Billing Cycle. This field will default to the Billing Cycle you selected in your Total Hours Discount Settings (Tools > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings).
Billing Cycle start date
When posting tuition, you must have a Billing Cycle start date. If you select By Session Dates as the Billing Cycle, the Billing Cycle start date will pre-populate with the start date of the session selected. These dates are determined in Tools > Edit Settings > Drop-down Lists > Session.
When you use Weekly, Monthly, or Custom Billing Cycles, you must choose a billing cycle start date.
- For Weekly Billing Cycles, you can select from 10 previous billing cycles or 15 future billing cycles, including the current billing cycle.
- For Monthly or Custom Billing Cycles, you can select from 3 previous billing cycles or 12 future billing cycles, include the current billing cycle.
Tuition post date
The tuition post date will default to the first day of the Billing Cycle selected, but it is an editable field and does not have any impact on your Billing Cycle start date. This is simply the date that you would like 'stamped' on the tuition fee transaction.
For example, you may post tuition fees on the 15th of each month for the upcoming month. It's March and you are posting tuition for April - you would select the Billing Cycle start date 4/1/2019 and you would change the Tuition post date to 3/15/2019.
Post to classes with this session
If you selected the Billing Method = By Total Hours, Jackrabbit will look for classes that match the Billing Method and the Billing Cycle you selected.
You can use Session and Category 1's, 2's, and 3's to further narrow down which classes you are posting to. Use the CTRL (Command on Mac) key to select multiple Sessions or Categories. Classes that match that criteria will be included in the tuition billing.
To post tuition fees to all of the families in the classes you have selected, leave these fields blank.
Use the following criteria to further filter the selected classes, so that only certain families in those classes are included in the batch.
Select a specific family to post tuition fees to by searching their last name.
Select families from a specific Location to include in the batch. Use the CTRL (Command on Mac) key to select multiple Locations.
Filter to only families with the Membership Type you select. The Membership Type is located on the Billing Info tab of the Family record. You can only select one Membership Type per batch.
Filter to only families with the ePayment Schedule you select. The ePayment Schedule is located on the Billing Info tab of the Family record. You can only select one ePayment Schedule per batch.
Multi-Student Discount Settings
If you are using the Billing Method = By Total Hours and have set Post total hours by to Student, you can apply multi-student discounts to the tuition fees.
The discount settings will default to what was entered in Tools > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings > Total Hours Discount Settings, but they are editable here, for just the batch you are currently creating. See our Help article Total Hours Discount Settings for explanations of these fields.
If you selected to use the discount rate listed for each student, you can also choose the order the discounts are applied.
There are a number of Additional Settings that can be selected when posting tuition fees.
Post tuition to active classes only
When selected, Jackrabbit will pull only classes with a Status = Active into the tuition batch.
Post tuition to students with Enroll Type=Trial
When selected, students who have an Enroll Type of Trial will be included in this tuition billing.
Post tuition to students with Enroll Type=Waitlist
When selected, students who have an Enroll Type of Waitlist will be included in this tuition billing.
Apply tax to tuition
If you have Tools > Edit Settings > Organization Defaults > Tax Settings > Tax Tuition Fees = Yes, you'll have the option to apply tax to the batch or not.
If you Prorate Tuition Fees, you'll see two further options:
Prorate tuition for future enrollments during Billing Cycle
When selected, Jackrabbit will prorate tuition for any student that has a future enrollment during the Billing Cycle. If you do not allow future enrollments (Tools > Edit Settings > Organization Defaults > Class Settings) this option will not display. Note: Future enroll dates are inclusive, i.e. the student is considered in class on that date.
Prorate tuition for drops during the Billing Cycle
When selected, Jackrabbit will prorate tuition for any student that drops during the Billing Cycle. Note: The drop date is exclusive, i.e. the student is not considered in class on that date.
The Transaction Type of Tuition Fee cannot be changed.
Optionally add a Transaction Subtype to the tuition fee posting. Transaction Subtypes can be created/edited from to Tools > Edit Settings > Drop-down Lists > Transaction Sub Types.
Adding a customized note is optional. If a note is entered, it displays after the transaction note that is automatically created by Jackrabbit. The notes column is limited to 200 characters, so it is possible your notes could be cut off if too long.
Define an Additional Discount to be applied to the tuition fees as well as your other discounting and/or prorating.
See our Help article Post Tuition Fees - Additional Discount for more information on how these settings work.
Duplicate fee detection
If you want to use Duplicate fee detection, select the Use duplicate tuition fee detection check box and enter a date range that you would like to check for any possible duplicate fees.
See our Help article Post Tuition Fees - Duplicate Fee Detection for full details on how this feature works.
Preview Tuition Fees
The Preview Tuition Fees page offers all of the details for how the discounts and prorating were calculated. Links are provided to the Family record, the Student record, and the Class record. Select the icon in the Details column to open the fee details.
Let's look at the student in the image above and go through his fees.
The Fee Schedule in this database is:
Per the Fee Schedule, the base price for a one hour of class is $50.
- Elijah takes 2 one hour classes each week
- He receives a Club Member discount of 2%
- He has a family discount for Facility cleanings and receives an additional 25%
- Taxes are applied to tuition per the database settings
Because the first class is the same duration as the second class, the hours discount of $10 is divided equally between the two classes (Base Tuition Fee per class is $50 x 2 = $100. Fee for two hours per fee schedule is $90. $100 - $90 = $10. $10 ÷ 2 classes = $5 discount per class).
When you have reviewed the tuition fees in the preview and are happy that everything is as it should be, use the Post Fees button to post the transactions to the family accounts.
Transactions can be edited individually using the pencil icon in transaction grids. Groups of transactions can be edited from the results of a transactions search.
Use caution when editing transactions as it can cause discrepancies with information already transferred to your accounting system, e.g. exported to QuickBooks.
User Permissions Related to Editing Transactions
There are several permissions that control a User's ability to edit transactions. See Permissions for Jackrabbit Users for help with editing User Permissions.
|User Permission Category||Name of User Permission|
|Transactions||Edit Payment Amount|
Edit Original Fee
Edit Payment Transaction Date
Mass Edit Transactions
|Reports||Transactions Advanced Search|
To protect important data, not all fields in a transaction can be edited and there are restrictions on when the amount field of a fee or payment can be changed.
- The amount of a fee transaction cannot be edited if it is linked to a payment. Unlink the payment from the fee to make your edit and then relink it.
- The amount of a payment transaction cannot be edited if it has been applied to fees. Unlink the fees to make your edit and then reapply the payment.
- The amount of a refunded payment transaction cannot be edited.
- For ePayments, the following fields cannot be edited: Location, Transaction Date, Transaction Type, Amount, Payment Method, Check #, Credit Card Last 4, or Date Paid.
- For payments and refunds the following fields cannot be edited: Transaction Date, Transaction Type.
Edit a Single Transaction
Using the pencil icon, , a single transaction can be edited from:
In the Edit Transaction modal, make your changes keeping the above rules in mind. Be sure to Save Changes.
Edit Multiple Transactions (Mass Edit)
Watch a (1:25) video tutorial on Editing Transactions
From Search Transactions, in the Transactions menu, it is possible to edit multiple transactions at once.
From the search results, an Edit All column allows you to select multiple transactions to edit (using the checkbox) or to edit all transactions by selecting the checkbox in the Edit All column header.
When you have selected one or more transactions, the Mass Edit icon and the number of transactions to be edited display in the selections bar.
The Edit Transactions window will display:
- The number of transactions to be edited
- Fields that are not editable are grayed out
- An explanation of which editing rules were broken
In the Transaction Groups with Issues section, use the X to remove any transactions that have 'broken a rule' to open up the grayed out fields and continue editing the remaining transactions.
When you have made your changes, Save Changes.
You will be prompted to confirm your changes. Click Yes, I'm Sure to confirm and be returned to the Search Transactions results where where your recently edited transactions will be displayed.
When you have worked through all of the articles outlined in the lesson plan, select the Take the Quiz button to be taken to the Lesson #9.2 Quiz where you can test your understanding of the concepts in this lesson. You will be asked to enter an email address for quiz results to be sent. The quiz includes Review questions.
Quiz #9.2 - Post Tuition Fees (By Total Hours Billing Method)
|Number of Questions||Total Possible Points||Points Needed for an "A"||Points Needed for a "B"||Points Needed|
for a "C"