Watch a (2:46) video tutorial for an overview of the Post Tuition Fees function
The Post Tuition Fees function, located in the Transactions menu, allows you to post tuition fees to multiple families at once! This is referred to as a batch.
This robust functionality takes many things into consideration, allowing you a high level of customization to meet your particular billing practices:
- Tuition Billing Method - do you bill your tuition fees based on the class fee or do you base it on the number of hours a student, or family of students, spend in class weekly? Maybe you use a combination of both methods!
- Tuition Billing Cycles - how often do you bill your families for tuition?
- Discounting - do you offer discounts for multiple students in a family taking classes, students who take multiple classes, or other types of discounts?
- Prorating - do you prorate tuition fees for students who enroll after the Billing Cycle has started, when your facility is closed, or when a class meets more than the standard number of times in a month (4)?
- Student and Family Fixed Fees - do you have students or families that have very specific billing structures too complex to define with discounts, etc.?
Use the links in this article, and the articles related below, to learn more about the Post Tuition Fees function; things to consider and how to get started!
Watch a (1:47) video tutorial on Understanding Discounts
There are several types of discounts you can use when posting tuition fees in Jackrabbit:
- Multi-Class Discount - For classes with a billing method of By Class Fee, you can offer a discount to students who take multiple classes.
- Family Discount Rule - Override other discounts for specific families when using the billing method of By Class Fee.
- Hours Discount - For classes with a billing method of By Total Hours, you can offer a discount for multiple hours of class taken using your Fee Schedule.
- Multi-Student Discount - Offer discounts when there are multiple students in a family taking classes.
- Family Discount - Offer a discount specific to an individual family.
- Additional Discount - Define an additional discount to be applied after all other discounting has been applied.
Watch a (2:03) video tutorial for an overview of Fixed Fees
A Fixed Fee can be created for a family (Family Fixed Fee) or for individual students (Student Fixed Fee) and can be used when the typical tuition that would post is not appropriate or is too complex. Think square peg and round hole.
When used, the Fixed Fee overrides the process of calculating tuition fees for each class, and instead posts a Tuition Fee transaction to the family's account.
You may offer an 'unlimited' tuition rate for students who take a large number of classes or hours of class. Saving a Fixed Fee (on the family Billing Info tab or the student Summary tab) will force Jackrabbit to enter this fixed fee amount whenever tuition is posted using Post Tuition Fees. Regardless of what your Tuition Settings are, Jackrabbit will override them and post the Fixed Fee.
Watch a (2:41) video tutorial for an overview of Tuition Settings
Setting up your Tuition Settings will enable you to Post Tuition Fees to multiple families and apply different discounts as well as prorate fees for things like closed dates.
Tuition Settings are located under the Tools menu > Edit Settings.
Jackrabbit has designed a Setup Wizard to step you through the Tuition Settings. The first time you go to Tools > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings you will be taken to the Wizard where you will have several options:
- Get Started Now! - Start with Step One (of five) of the Wizard
- Watch Now - Watch the Tuition Settings Overview tutorial video
- I'm good...Let me skip this Wizard! - leave the Wizard and return to the Edit Settings page
- I think I'm good...Let me review my settings! - leave the Wizard and go to the Manage your discounting & prorating settings page
If you exit the Wizard before you have completed all of the steps, any settings you have made will be saved but your place in the Wizard is not saved. You will need to start at the beginning when you return and click Next Step to advance to the step where you left off.
Once you have either completed all of the steps, or clicked I'm good...Let me skip this wizard!, all subsequent visits to Tools > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings will take you directly to the Manage your discounting & prorating settings page where you can:
- Manage Tuition Billing Settings
- Manage Your Discount Rules
- Update "Total Hours" Discount Settings
- Manage Prorating Options
- Manage Tuition Fee Settings
Watch a (1:29) video tutorial on Billing Methods
Jackrabbit offers two Billing Methods to give you flexibility in billing tuition for your classes:
- By Class Fee - Posts tuition based on the Tuition Fee assigned on the Summary tab of the Class record.
- By Total Hours - Posts tuition based on the Tuition Fee assigned on the Summary tab of the Class record in conjunction with a fee schedule you create to define discounts for multiple hours of instruction.
The Tuition Billing Method is assigned at the class level, on the Summary tab of the Class record. Each class can have only one Billing Method, however, you can use both Billing Methods and assign them to different classes. For example you may offer recreation classes that are billed by an assigned class fee at the same time as having competitive Team classes that are billed based on the total number of hours in class.
If you select only one Billing Method in your Tuition Settings, Jackrabbit will assign that method to each existing and future class and will hide the Tuition Billing Method field on the Class Summary tab.
- Use Edit All Classes from the Classes menu with the Search Criteria Class Tuition Billing Method set to = (No Value) to easily locate all classes that don't have a Billing Method assigned and be able to quickly edit them all from one screen.
- If you have assigned both Billing Methods to classes in your database, and you want to switch to use only one of the methods, you will first have to change all of your classes to the Billing Method you wish to use and then you will be able to select one Billing Method in your Tuition Billing Settings.
The quickest way to do this is:
1. Go to Classes > Edit All Classes > Use the Search Criteria to bring up only the classes that have the Billing Method you will NOT be using and then use the Global Change (yellow) area to change them all to the Billing Method you WILL be using. Save Changes.
2. Go to Tools > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings and select the Billing Method you wish to use. Changes are automatically saved.
Watch a (1:39) video tutorial on Billing Cycles
Assigned to each Class record, on the Summary tab, Tuition Billing Cycles tell Jackrabbit how often families are billed for tuition for each class and what day/date the Billing Cycle starts. This is the day/date that the class cycle starts and is not necessarily the date you actually post the tuition fees.
Example: Each month on the 25th, you bill tuition for the upcoming month. Your Billing Cycle would be Each month and the cycle start date would be 1 (for the first of the month).
Tuition Billing Cycles define the range of days that families are to be billed for and are required to properly prorate tuition.
There are four Billing Cycles to choose from:
- By Session Dates
In Tuition Billing Settings (Tools menu > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings) select all Billing Cycles that apply to your organization:
- If you post fees each week for any classes, select Each week on and pick the day of the week that the cycle starts.
- If you post fees each month for any classes, select Each month on and pick the day of the month the cycle starts.
- If you post fees by session for any classes, select By Session Dates. Note: If you use By Session Dates, you must add Start and End Dates to each Session (Tools menu > Edit Settings > Drop-down Lists).
- If you post fees using a custom Billing Cycle (for example, every 4 weeks), select Custom. Indicate the number of weeks in the Billing Cycle (you can select up to 52) and indicate the start date of the first Custom Billing Cycle.
Billing Cycles for Classes Billed by Total Hours
For classes billed By Total Hours you can use only one Billing Cycle.
When you select By Total Hours in the Tuition Billing Settings (Tools > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings), Jackrabbit assumes you'll want to bill monthly and defaults the Billing Cycle to Monthly in the Update "Total Hours" Discount Settings (Tools > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings). All By Total Hours classes are automatically assigned the Monthly Tuition Billing Cycle and that field is disabled on the Class record > Summary tab.
If you have selected other Billing Cycles (Weekly or By Session date) in the Tuition Billing Settings, you can opt to use one of those instead of Monthly for your By Total Hours classes. When you update the Billing Cycle selection in the Update "Total Hours" Discount Settings, every class assigned a Billing Method = By Total Hours will be reset to the Billing Cycle you selected.
Billing Cycles for Classes Billed by Class Tuition Fee
If you select only one Billing Cycle in the Tuition Billing Settings, Jackrabbit will automatically assign that Billing Cycle to every class and that field is disabled on the Class record > Summary tab.
It is possible to use more than one Billing Cycle for classes billed By Class Tuition Fee. If you select more than one Billing Cycle, you must ensure each class has a correct Billing Cycle saved to the Class Summary tab.
Tip: Use Edit All Classes from the Classes menu, with the search criteria Class Tuition Billing Method = By Class Fee and Class Tuition Billing Cycle = (No Value) to locate classes that do not have a Tuition Discount Rule assigned.
Billing Cycle Examples
You run Post Tuition Fees on the 25th of each month, however families are being charged for the following month from the 1st through the end of the month. The Billing Cycle is Each month on the 1st.
You run Post Tuition Fees every week on Saturday, however, families are being charged for the upcoming week (Monday - Sunday). The Billing Cycle is Each week on Monday.
You run Post Tuition Fees once per session on the day the session starts. The Billing Cycle is By Session Dates.
Watch a (2:09) video tutorial on Prorating Tuition
Jackrabbit offers the ability to automatically prorate tuition fees for the following situations:
- Students who enroll after a Billing Cycle has started
- Students who have a future drop scheduled before the end of a Billing Cycle
- Classes that fall on a Closed Date
- Classes that meet more than the standard number of times in a month (for By Class Fee Billing Method classes only)
Your prorating options are set up and edited from the Tools menu > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings > Manage Prorating Options. See our Help article Tuition Settings: Prorating Options for full details.
In order to calculate prorated tuition, each class must have the following information on the Summary tab of the Class record:
Tuition Fee Settings tell Jackrabbit how you want to post tuition when a student is enrolled:
- During Online Web Registration
- Using Quick Registration (Families > Quick Registration/Add Family)
- With the Enroll button or Enroll links in your database
- Via the Parent Portal
Manage your Tuition Fee Settings from the Tools menu > Edit Settings > Tuition Settings.
By Class Fee Settings
These settings are applied to any class that has an assigned Billing Method of By Class Fee when a student is enrolled.
- Do Not post tuition - no tuition will be posted during the enrollment process; tuition will be posted using Post Tuition Fees.
- Post full tuition (ignore Tuition Discount Rules) - the tuition fee listed on the class summary page will be posted in full.
- Post discounted tuition (use Tuition Discount Rules) - multi-class and/or multi-student discounts will be applied to the tuition fee.
If you have opted to prorate your tuition fees in your settings, you will see two additional options:
- Post prorated tuition (based on Prorating Settings) - prorating will be applied to the tuition fee.
- Post discounted and prorated tuition - both multi-class and/or multi-student discounts will be applied. Tuition will be prorated when applicable.
By Total Hours Settings
How do you count the hours...?
When the Billing Method is By Total Hours, you have the option of counting the total hours by student or by family.
Student #1 takes two 1 hour classes per week
Student #2 takes one 1 hour class per week
Total hours by student:
- Student #1 is charged $100 (fee for 2 hours)
- Student #2 is charged $60 (fee for 1 hour)
- Total family tuition is $160
Total hours by family:
- Total hours taken by both students is 3 (fee for 3 hours)
- Total family tuition is $150
How do you want to post tuition...?
These settings are applied to any class that has an assigned Billing Method of By Total Hours when a student is enrolled.
- Do not post tuition - no tuition will be posted during the enrollment process; tuition will be posted using Post Tuition Fees.
- Post tuition using Fee Schedule (no prorating) - tuition will post according to the Fee Schedule with no prorating. If you are counting total hours by student, multi-student discounts will be applied.
- Post tuition using Fee Schedule with prorating - tuition will post according to the Fee Schedule and be prorated if applicable. If you are counting total hours by student, multi-student discounts will be applied.
If you post a batch of tuition fees in error you can easily delete the batch posting.
- Point to Transactions and select Delete Tuition Fees. Note: Be sure to select Delete Tuition Fees, not Delete Transactions.
- Choose a specific batch (batches are created using Transactions > Post Tuition Fees) or select search criteria to locate the tuition fees posted in error.
- Select Submit. In the confirmation window that asks, Are you sure you want to delete tuition fees?
- Click OK in the confirmation window that asks, Are you sure you want to delete tuition fees? The tuition fees have been deleted and family balances have been updated.
Watch a (1:48) video tutorial on the Tuition Not Posted report
The Tuition Not Posted report provides you with a list of students who are enrolled in classes, but no tuition fees have been posted to their account.
You can find this report in the Reports menu. Go to Reports > Transactions/Financials > Recommended (tab) > Tuition Not Posted Report.
- Confirm all students enrolled in classes have tuition fees posted to their family account.
- Manage your tuition revenue stream.
Run this report if you have tuition posting turned off in the Parent Portal and Web Registration.
You are reviewing student enrollments for the month of October and you need to confirm all students have a tuition fee posted for every class. This is important because you don't want to lose any revenue!
To create this report use these two search filters:
- Enrollment (as of) from 10/1/2019 through 10/31/12019
- Tuition Fee posted on or after, select date from calendar 10/1/2019
The report results will display all students that did not have fees posted to their family account.
Filter the report using the Search Criteria and Jackrabbit will compile a list of students who meet ALL of the criteria chosen.
The report results can be customized to show or hide columns of information, sort and filter columns, or modify column width.
- Resolve Single Student Listed - Click on the Family name in the report to access the Family record. In the Family record, click on Make Sale/Post Fees to post tuition fees to the account.
- Resolve Multiple Students Listed - If the report shows multiple students that appear to have been omitted from tuition posting for the same reason, follow these steps to resolve:
- Identify the issue that prevented the students from having tuition posted and rectify.
Example: Several students from the same class appear on the Tuition Not Posted report. When posting fees, a session value was selected but that session value did not exist in the Class record > Summary tab so those students were not pulled into the batch. Add the session value to the Class record.
- Go to Transactions > Post Tuition Fees and use the Search Criteria to post to those students all at once.
Example: If students had been omitted from tuition posting due to an error on the Class record, select that specific class to post fees for.
- Click Preview Tuition Fees.
- Select the checkbox in the last column (Post) for each student you want to post tuition fees and click Post Fees.
- Rerun the Tuition Not Posted report to confirm all the students on the report are removed.
- Identify the issue that prevented the students from having tuition posted and rectify.
Refer to Work with Grids in Jackrabbit for more details on how easy and flexible these grids are to work with. You can filter, sort, hide, lock, and adjust your report results.
When you have worked through all of the articles outlined in the lesson plan, select the Take the Quiz button to be taken to the Lesson #9 Quiz where you can test your understanding of the concepts in this lesson. You will be asked to enter an email address for quiz results to be sent.
Quiz #9 - Tuition Fees - Overview
|Number of Questions||Total Possible Points||Points Needed for an "A"||Points Needed for a "B"||Points Needed|
for a "C"