One or more persons in your organization should be selected to work with the Time Clock in your Jackrabbit database.
Managing the Time Clock in your database is a four step process which should be completed in the following order:
If a Jackrabbit user has appropriate permissions, all time entries are viewable, for each staff member, under their Time Card tab.
Time entries that have been approved are highlighted in yellow. Hours that have been split are highlighted in brown and when the hours are displayed in red, it indicates that the actual hours have been changed.
Time entries may also be viewed when Approving Time or using Time Clock Reports.
Incomplete Time Entries
Any staff person that doesn't have an out time for the day is considered an Incomplete Time Entry. To find Incomplete Time Entries, go to Staff Portal > Time Clock > Incomplete Time Entries. It is important to go through these regularly to find staff with incomplete time entries.
You can either enter individual Out Times for each Incomplete Time Entry, or if all the Incomplete Time Entries checked out at the same time, enter the time in the Set Out-Time for all Incomplete Time Entries field. This is a global box, so all Incomplete Time Entries will be marked with this time. Save Changes.
Incomplete Time Entries are also displayed on the Executive Dashboard in the Alerts section. Clicking this link also opens the Incomplete Time Entries Report.
It's also possible to to record a Time Entry while logged into your Jackrabbit database (without launching the Staff Portal). In order to do this, the user must have a Jackrabbit User ID (not just a Staff Portal Login ID) and have appropriate permissions for that User ID.
- Login into your Jackrabbit database.
- Point to Staff in the menu bar, then click List Active Staff.
- Click the staff member's name.
- Click the Add Time Entry button.
If the staff member has a Manual In/Out or a Clock In/Out time entry method, the Add Time Entry window displays with an In Time and Out Time field.
If the staff member has the Total Hours time entry method, the Add Time Entry window will offer a Total Time field.
After entering time, be sure to click Save. If prompted, click OK. The entered time will be recorded on the staff member's Time Card tab.
In order to complete a pay period, it is necessary for all time to be approved. Time can be approved as soon as the time entry is created. If you have assigned Managers to Departments, you may decide to have the Managers approve time. They can choose to approve time in any frequency they prefer (daily, weekly, etc.), or they can wait and perform the approval process at the end of the pay period.
If you pay instructors for time before or after class/day/time entry, be sure you set a Time Buffer. See the Time Clock: Time Entry Settings topic for details on setting a Time Buffer.
- Point to Staff Portal in the main menu, select Time Clock and click Approve/Unapprove Time.
- If needed, filter your search by selecting criteria from the Search Criteria section.
- Select a Display Setting.
- Click Preview Staff Hours.
- Click the Note icon if any contain the word Note, so you can read any messages left by staff.
- Use the Email icon to email staff members any questions you may have.
- Make changes to time if necessary.
- Approve hours by clicking the Approve checkbox for each entry or use Check All Rows to globally approve time.
- Save Changes
Display Settings offers two choices.
This displays the total hours per staff person per department.
Individual Time Entries
This displays the in / out times and actual number of hours worked for each time entry.
When the Individual Time Record option is selected, the Show Actual vs. Scheduled Hours? and the Find Time Entries from prior pay periods? fields become active. If Show Actual vs. Scheduled Hours? is set to Yes, the result will indicate both the Actual Hours and the hours a staff person was scheduled to work. If Actual Hours are higher than Scheduled Hours, this field will display red in the report, alerting you there may be an overage/problem with this time entry.
Scheduled Time is determined by adding the class duration for any class that an instructor is assigned. It is very important for Classes to be entered correctly in order for Scheduled Time to calculate correctly. The following must be entered for each class and is entered from the Class page.
- Start Time & End Time (in format 4:00pm)
- Class Meets (a day must be checked)
- Class must have students enrolled.
- Class must have instructors listed under the Instructor tab.
Tip: Verify this information is correct for all classes by using Classes > Edit All Classes.
If Find Time Entries from prior pay periods? is set to Yes, any unapproved time entries in previous pay periods will also display.
Edit Time from Approve Time
With the appropriate permissions, a User can edit staff Actual Hours while in Approve Time. This provides the user with the ability to make changes to the actual hours worked without having to edit the original in and out times and without going into the individual staff person's time clock tab.
To give this permission to a user ensure that Edit Actual Hours in Approve Time is checked in Tools > Manage Users & Permissions for this user.
Tip: The clock recognizes minutes are a portion of an hour and computes them accordingly. Example: Zippy clocked in at 3:46 pm and clocked out at 4:04 pm. He worked 8 minutes; so Jackrabbit calculates the partial hour as 8 minutes / 60 minutes and displays the result as .13. (8 / 60 = .13).
View a Note
If a note has been added to a Time Entry by a staff member, the Note icon will display with the word "NOTE" in it. Click the icon to view the note.
Send an Email
To email the staff member directly about a time entry, click the envelope icon to the right of the entry.
Add your email message in the Approve Time Card Email box and click Send.
After all time is approved for a pay period, you can close the pay period. See Close Pay Periods.
After all hours within a pay period have been approved, the pay period should be closed. The process of closing the pay period marks all hours as being paid with a Paid Date.
- Point to Staff Portal, select Time Clock and click Close Pay Period. Tip: There is also a Close Pay Period button on the Approve/Unapprove Time page.
- Select the Pay Period.
- If you'd like the report to also display any unpaid time entries prior to the selected pay period, select Yes in the Find unpaid time entries dated prior to this pay period? field.
- Click Preview Staff Hours to Close.
- If there are hours within the pay period that haven't been approved, a pop-up alert will warn you. If this alert pops up, click the View Not Approved Time link within the pop-up to view and approve the time.
If necessary, you can re-open a Pay Period by going to Staff Portal > Settings > Portal Settings. In the Time Clock Pay Periods section, click the Re-Open Pay Period button.
- In the preview screen, select which hours to process by ensuring the Process checkbox is checked.
- When satisfied with the list, click Confirm List.
- Change the Pay Date if necessary.
- Click Close Pay Period.
- If prompted, click OK.
Review the article below for the Time Clock export method your organization uses.
Watch a (2:13) video tutorial on Manage the Time Clock - Export to Express Payroll
To utilize this option, you must be an Express Payroll client. Jackrabbit recommends Express Payroll due to the flexibility of unlimited custom pay rates which support Jackrabbit Departments. Jackrabbit can create a CSV file to export at the end of each pay period. This file is specifically formatted to enable import into the Express Payroll payroll system.
- Point to Staff Portal in the menu bar, select Time Clock and click Export to Payroll. Tip: There is also an Export to Payroll button on the Close Pay Period page.
- Select a Location and a Pay Date from the drop down choices.
- Click Export/Edit CSV File.
- Open the file and select the option to save the file to your computer. Tip: Create a special folder on your desktop for this.
- Click Email File to Express Payroll. In the Email Express Payroll pop-up box, notice the Subject Line includes the name of the Org, Org ID, and the Pay Period Ending Date. This line is not editable.
- Add a message if applicable. For example, you can enter any pay rate changes and other important information in the message area.
- Select applicable email addresses for Send Additional Emails To. We recommend that you include your own email address, so you can keep a copy for your records.
- Click Send.
Jackrabbit's time clock integration is available only with QuickBooks Desktop; time cannot be exported to QuickBooks Online.
To fully utilize this option you must have QuickBooks Payroll. Jackrabbit can create an IIF file containing staff hours to be imported into QuickBooks Desktop for payroll processing. There are several items which must be set up correctly.
Before exporting to QuickBooks for the first time be sure you've followed all the Time Clock Export Settings instructions.
- The import will work correctly only if Jackrabbit Department names are exactly the same as QuickBooks Payroll Item names.
- If you want to import QuickBooks “Class” information, Jackrabbit Department names must match the QuickBooks Class names.
- If you want to import both staff hours and “class”, then: Jackrabbit Department names = QuickBooks Payroll Item names = QuickBooks Class names.
After set up is complete, we recommend importing test data before importing the first full pay period. For example, try importing 2 employees hours into QuickBooks to verify they were set up correctly (duplicate employees weren't created in QuickBooks) and to check the payroll module for accuracy (correct # of hours, etc). Any information entered into Jackrabbit or QuickBooks for the test, can be deleted after you're finished.
- Point to Staff Portal in the menu bar, select Time Clock and Export to Payroll.
- Select a Location and Pay Date.
- Select Export QuickBooks File.
- In the Opening payrollexport.iif pop-up box, select the option to Save the file and save it to your computer.
- Import the file into QuickBooks (QuickBooks > Import > IIF Files > Select the saved IIF file).
- After the import is complete verify hours are in each employee's Weekly Time Sheet in your QuickBooks database.
- Process payroll in QuickBooks.
The QuickBooks Reports below include 2 employee's times that have been imported into QuickBooks and processed for testing purposes.
QuickBooks Payroll Summary Report
Profit & Loss, Transaction Detail by Account Report
Note that in the screenshot below, the payroll tax amounts do not get assigned a Class. If using Classes in QuickBooks, you must do this manually.
If you are not using Express Payroll or QuickBooks, it is still possible to use Export to Payroll. In order to have hours by Department, export to an Excel CSV file. Click the Export CSV File button, download and save the file.
There are four informational reports provided by the Time Clock. Any of the reports may be printed and exported.
See a short (2:26) video on Time Clock Reports
The ability to generate these reports is controlled by several User ID permissions in the Clock and Staff Categories. See User ID Settings for more information.
The Time Report displays hours by Location and Department. With nine different display options you can view your staff hours in a variety of formats.
To run a Time Report:
- Point to Staff Portal in the main menu, select Time Clock and click Time Report.
- Select Search Criteria.
- Select Display Settings. (See a brief explanation of each of the 9 display formats below.)
There are nine Display formats.
Displays each staff person's time entries including the following: Location, Department, In and Out Times, Hour Type and Total Hours.
Summarizes all staff time. Includes: Location, Department, Date, In and Out Times, Hour Type and Total Hours.
Staff Summary by Department
Breaks out total hours by Department and staff members in each department.
Staff Summary by Dept with Estimated Gross Wages
Breaks out total hours by Department and staff members in each department with pay rate and estimated gross wages.
Staff Summary by Location
Breaks out total hours by location and staff members in each location.
Groups by Department and displays the following information: Location, Staff First Name, Staff Last Name, Hour Type and each individual time entry Total Hours. There is also an option to view Estimated Gross Wages.
Groups by Department and displays the following information: Location & Total Hours. Option to view Estimated Gross Wages.
Groups by Location the following information: Departments, Staff First Name, Staff Last Name, Hour Type, and Total Hours.
Groups the department total hours worked per location. Displays Dept & Total Hours.
Estimated Gross Wages
The option to display Estimated Gross Wages is only available using the Department Detail and Department Summary formats.
Estimated Gross Wages is also reported on the Staff Summary by Dept with Estimated Gross Wages. This is called estimated because the Time Clock does not calculate overtime dollars, only regular hour dollars. Jackrabbit also does not calculate any withholdings, deductions, or payroll taxes.
The estimated gross wage calculation is based on the hours the staff person enters into the time clock multiplied by the appropriate pay rate. If Department Pay Rates were entered, Jackrabbit matches up the Time Entry Department with the Department Pay Rate. If a Time Entry doesn't have a Department Pay Rate, the Base Hourly Rate is used to calculate Estimated Gross Wages. (Pay rates for each staff member can be entered in the staff person's Compensation tab.) Only the two reserved Pay Rates - Base Pay Rate and Department Rate - can be used to calculate Estimated Gross Wages.
This report displays all staff that have a Time In but do not have a Time Out for the current day. Incomplete time entries from previous days are not displayed.
- Point to Staff Portal, select Time Clock and click Staff Here Now Report.
- If applicable, select a Location and/or Departments.
This report offers a record of the activity in the time clock displaying the date & time, the staff member's name of the time record affected, the action (insert, update, delete), the field name, the old & new values, and the person involved.
- Point to Staff Portal in the main menu, select Time Clock and click Time Audit Report.
- Select Search Criteria. (You must choose a Pay Period to generate the report.)
The Pay Rate Report displays the Staff ID, Staff Name, Pay Type, Department, Rate, and Effective Dates.
- Point to Staff in the main menu and click Pay Rate Report.
- Select any Search Criteria.
When you have worked through all of the articles outlined in the lesson plan, select the Take the Quiz button to be taken to the Lesson #6 Quiz where you can test your understanding of the concepts in this lesson. You will be asked to enter an email address for quiz results to be sent. The quiz includes Review questions.
Quiz #6 - Manager Use of the Time Clock
|Number of Questions||Total Possible Points||Points Needed for an "A"||Points Needed for a "B"||Points Needed|
for a "C"